Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Who said that?

While sipping slowly on this drink,
My thoughts are manifesting
As two men at my mental brink,
And their exchange is interesting.

The sober man's a skeptic.
His uncertainty sure shows.
For every detail that he questions.
His anxiety grows.
Making sense of all this randomness
Takes time to contemplate.
But Earth's rotation is impatient
And for him it will not wait.
The intoxicated fellow
Thinks he can help the sober man
Through this conundrum so mellow
And he has a master plan.

"What you need is an epiphany"
The drunken man decides.
Then he shares his own philosophy
With a great amount of pride.
"You see, the only thing that we can do
Is perceive and then react
To the environment around us,
A kind of existential pact.
It's not a competition,
Though it's called the human race.
It's impossible to know
How to finish in first place.
Deciphering this life of ours
Is not worth all the stress.
You'll be driven to insanity
Without any progress.
'Cause once you think you've got it figured out
It's never quite enough.
So sit back and just absorb the world
It's really not that tough."

"That's easy for you to do"
The sober man replies.
"With help from that brown and bitter brew
You barely have to try.
I would like to take on your advice.
Some mental freedom would be nice
But when we part I'll be alone
And I am much too worry prone.
To me your words will simply be
Some spices for my skeptic's tea."



1 comment:

  1. Kind of an old style Housman sort of poem. I think I'd want this to go into some more complex places and also to come back to the listener at some point.

    That said, I think in many places you're handling the rhymes quite naturally and I appreciate your attempt at a dialogue.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete